We Put Patients and Their Families Center Stage
Patients and their families are integral members of the rehabilitation team. The rehabilitation process begins with the team working closely with patients to identify their personal recovery goals and to design an individualized treatment plan to meet those goals. We encourage family member involvement in the rehabilitation process working with staff through education and planning for successful discharge. Patient education sessions help prepare patients to safely return home and to the community. Patient and family education sessions help family members better understand patient needs to completely provide assistance at home. Our transitional living suite’s home-like environment and participation in therapeutic day passes allows patients and their families to practice safety, functional skills and mobility prior to being discharged.
Gaining Independence and Maximizing Recovery
Our Inpatient Rehabilitation Center helps individuals recovering from stroke, orthopedic surgery, amputation, or otherillnesses and injuries maximize their recovery. Located within Catawba Valley Medical Center, our 10-bed unit has achieved a maximum three-year accreditation from the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) and has been recognized by the Uniform Data System as a “2016 Top Performer”. Our program and facility is designed to promote a high level of independence and patient comfort and safety.
Our Rehabilitation facility includes:
- Private and Semi-private rooms
- State-of-the-art equipped rehabilitation gym including the Lite gait training system and Liko lift system
- Transitional Living Suite for demonstration of functional skills for discharge
- Availability of therapy services 7 days a week
- Safety education kitchen, bathroom, and laundry areas
- Wheelchair accessible closets
- Community Dayroom for patient interaction and social dining
Our Interdisciplinary Team Approach
Catawba Valley Medical Center’s rehabilitation professionals strive to facilitate each patient’s independence and function through a goal-oriented and personalized treatment plan. The patient, their families and our interdisciplinary team working closely from admission to discharge.
Our inpatient team consists of:
- A Medical Director who is a Board Certified Physiatrist
- Certified Rehabilitation Registered Nurses (CRRN)
- Certified Nursing Assistants
- Physical Therapists
- Occupational Therapists
- Speech-Language Pathologists
- Recreation Therapist
- Case Manager
- Orthotists and Prosthetist
Our Comprehensive Inpatient Rehabilitation program also offers:
- Home Assessments
- FEES (Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing)
- Community Reintegration Education and Outings
- Animal Assisted Therapy visits
- Fun and functional Nintendo Wii activities
The patient must:
- Require the 24-hour availability of a physician and a registered nurse with special training or experience in the field of rehabilitation
- Be able to participate in three hours of therapy per day, five days per week
- Require an intensive rehabilitation program which offers an interdisciplinary teach approach. The patient’s prescribed rehabilitation program must include at least two of the following therapies: physical, occupational or speech
- Have physical conditions or impairments that demonstrate potential for significant improvement within a reasonable period of time.
- There must be sufficient community/family support to facilitate a discharge to home, rest home or assisted living facility
- Demonstrate cognitive abilities sufficient to follow one-step commands and demonstrate carryover
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Receive financial clearance
This team of dedicated, competent and caring professionals, is trained to help motivate and educate both patients and their families during the rehabilitative process.
For more information about making a referral, to request a list of fees, or for a tour of the Inpatient Unit, please call the Admissions Coordinator at 828.326.3100.