Maximizing Independence And Quality of Life For The Impaired
Our mission is to optimize the health and function of individuals with disabilities and/or impairments through a patient-centered continuum of care with the goal of improving quality of life. Our program, led by Medical Director Dr. Jessica Urzen, a physiatrist (Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation physician), is based in the Inpatient Rehabilitation Center where patient care is managed through an interdisciplinary rehabilitation team of colleagues. Dr. Urzen also has an outpatient practice located in the Wellness Center on the hospital campus, where she provides care for patients after discharge in addition to seeing new patients with sports or neuralgic injuries.
About Physical Medicine And Rehabilitation
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation physicians are medical or osteopathic doctors who have completed training in the specialty of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R). They treat a wide variety of medical conditions affecting the brain, spinal cord, nerves, bones, joints, ligaments, muscles and tendons. Specifically, PM&R physicians:
- Treat patients of all ages
- Address areas that affect patient function and quality of life.
- Perform minimally invasive interventional procedures, medication management, and functional evaluations with activity and orthotic prescriptions to maximize independence and recovery.
- Diagnose and treat pain as a result of an injury, illness or disabling condition
- Determine and lead a treatment/prevention plan
- Lead a team of medical professionals, which may include physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech language pathologist and physician extenders to optimize patient care
- Treat the whole person, not just the problem area
It is their job to create realistic goals that go beyond the patient’s current limits while providing them with realistic expectations and pushing them to new heights.
Special Physical Medicine And Rehabilitation Services Provided:
- Musculoskeletal and neuromuscular diagnosis and rehabilitation
- Medical and rehabilitative pain management
- Injury prevention and wellness
- Non-surgical orthopedic medicine and Sports medicine including athletes with disabilities
- Regenerative treatments including prolotherapy
- Ultrasound guided procedures
- Injections of joints, tendons and ligaments
- Hydro-dissection of entrapped peripheral nerves
- Spasticity Treatment
- Manual Medicine/Osteopathic Treatment
- Prosthetics and Orthotics prescription and fitting
- Concussion management
Conditions Commonly Treated in Physical Medicine And Rehabilitation:
- Neurorehabilitation – Spinal Cord Injury, Traumatic Brain Injury, Stroke, Multiple Sclerosis, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Guillain-Barré, Myasthenia Gravis, Parkinson’s Disease
- Musculoskeletal care: Osteoarthritis, Osteoporosis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Inflammatory Myopathies, Fibromyalgia, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Sports injuries: Achilles Tendonitis, Iliotibial Band Syndrome, Turf Toe, Medial & Lateral Epicondylitis, Rotator Cuff Pathology, Acromioclavicular Separation, Biceps Tendonitis, Stress Fractures, Concussion
- Post-operative care: Joint Replacement, Amputations, Cardiac / Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Pediatric functional and developmental disorders: Cerebral Palsy, Muscular Dystrophy, Spina Bifida, Down Syndrome
- Prosthetics and orthotics: Gait and Movement Disorders, Assistive Devices and Ambulation Aids, Spinal Orthoses, Neuro-prostheses
- Specialized rehabilitation: Cancer, Cardiac, Pulmonary, Pelvic Pain
Dr. Jessica Urzen
Dr. Urzen received her medical degree from Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine in Blacksburg, VA. She completed her transitional rotating internship at Lewis-Gale Regional Hospital in Blacksburg, VA and her residency in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at the University of Louisville in Louisville, KY. She is currently a member of the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, the American Academy of Physiatry, the American Institute of Ultrasound Medicine and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Medicine.
FOR REFERRING PROVIDERS
INPATIENT PHYSICAL MEDICINE AND REHABILITATION SERVICES
Located within Catawba Valley Medical Center, our 10-bed inpatient rehabilitation unit has achieved a maximum three-year accreditation from the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF). For more information about making a referral, to request a list of fees, or for a tour of the Inpatient Unit, please call the Admissions Coordinator at 828.326.3100.
OUTPATIENT PHYSICAL MEDICINE AND REHABILITATION SERVICES (BEGINNING SEPTEMBER 2017)
PM&R Physician, Dr. Urzen, will see outpatients four times per week. For information about Catawba Valley Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation or to make a referral, please call 828.732.7249.