Psychiatry Services caregivers understand the special, and often critical, needs of our patients. Admissions are accepted on a 24-hour basis with free intake assessment. Inpatient services allow practitioners to admit patients to the hospital for short-term intensive evaluation, crisis intervention, and/or medical detoxification.
- Turning Point for Adults
- Pathways For Seniors
- Psychiatric I.C.C. (Intensive Care Center)
- Medical-Psychiatry Services
We offer two separate comprehensive group therapy programs, Senior Health and New Options. Both are supervised by our full-time doctoral-level psychologist. Senior Health specializes in meeting the unique needs of our geriatric population. New Options specializes in satisfying the requirements of a higher functioning adult population.
- Psychiatric/Psychological Assessment: Each client receives a comprehensive assessment which is utilized in the development of an individualized treatment plan.
- Chemical Detoxification: Medical detoxification is initiated to permit safe withdrawal from addictive substances with minimal discomfort.
- Management of Pharmacological Interventions: This is a physician-directed service. Many behavioral problems can be treated and improved with the administration of psychiatric medication, along with psychotherapy and support.
- Daily Group and Individual Psychotherapy: This program helps patients identify problems and develop a follow-up plan of care for addressing those problems. Group therapy enables patients to learn and use new coping skills as they interact with peers and staff.
- Suicide Precautions: Our Suicide Precautions/Risk Level System ensures that every patient is monitored and observed at intervals deemed necessary according to his or her clinical symptoms.
- Intensive Protective Interventions: Our staff is trained in effective preventative and therapeutic physical interventions to provide the best care in a safe and secure environment.
- Multidisciplinary Treatment Planning: A multidisciplinary treatment plan is initiated upon admission for each patient. This plan identifies the patient’s immediate critical needs and provides a plan of action to meet those needs.
- Social Service Assessment/Intervention: This service educates the patient about treatment options available in the Catawba Valley and surrounding areas. Its purpose is to ensure that patients have the optimum plan for available follow-up care.
- Community Resource Utilization: A goal in treatment that increases the likelihood patients will succeed in outpatient treatment.
- Therapy: This consists of a wide range of therapeutic activities, including assertiveness training, relaxation training, self-expression through music and recreational activities, reminiscence, and self-awareness exercises.
Our Psychiatry Services Staff
We offer a professional staff specially trained in psychiatry to provide a caring and personal approach to treatment. Our staff consists of the following specialists:
- Administrator of Psychiatry Services
- Director of Psychiatry Services
- Administrative Coordinator
- Registered Nurse
- Psychiatry Resource Liaison Nurse
- Patient Care Coordinator
- Professional Development Coordinator
- Psychiatric Technician II
- Psychiatric Technician I- Nursing Aides I & II
- Unit Secretary
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker
- Medical Social Worker
- RN Case Coordinator
- RN Case Manager
- Psychiatry Activity Coordinator
- Licensed Clinical Addictions Specialist
- Safety Technician
- Nurse Practitioner
- Physician Assistant
Catawba Valley Medical Center, 7th Floor
810 Fairgrove Church Road SE
Hickory, NC 28602
Please see our online Psychiatry Services Visitors Guide for information about visiting